Monday, July 4, 2011

Independence Day

May I wish you the best and happiest Independence Day!

Since this is a vintage blog as well, my mind goes back to V-E Day and V-J Day; in my own hometown, I have read how the streets were jammed with a fabulous band playing all sorts of patriotic songs; jubilated people lined the sidewalks downtown, waving American flags, cheering and crying and hugging family members, and each other.

One story truly brings a smile to my face: a soldier pilot flew over the town where he knew his sweetheart was, and he zig-zagged in such a way that the smoke from his plane puffed this message: "Marry Me". The sweetheart below looked up and knew who it was; she was laughing a crying by the time he returned to land. They were married shortly after that.

I am also reminded of today's patriotism. The War on Terror which we still are battling. Let us continue to have such a fervency for patriotism that will not only be remembered on Independence Day, but will be remembered every day of the week.The sacrifices that our soldiers today are making; the separation from family and friends...

 I love America and what it was founded upon. Let us never lose that awesome unity.

Have a happy time with family, friends, and watching fireworks. (I do agree that fireworks are the best part of the day.)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tisha,
    I love your memories and thoughts of Independence Day. May our country turn back to God,on whom it was founded.I'm so grateful for the men and women who served to keep us free.
    Many blessings,

    Kathryn Hughes Kathrynhughes-author.com

    ReplyDelete