Friday, April 1, 2011

Second Dress -- Sleeve Problems

Hm, well, the dress is almost done, much to my surprise. I think the longest time I've spent was hand-stitching the lace inserts. I took some photos today of the dress progress, but am not able to download them right away. You shall have them tomorrow.

But for now, I have a slight problem. My sleeves are not going in smoothly. There is a pucker on each side where the sleeve flows down the arm. (Instead of cap or 3/4 sleeves, I am doing just simple short sleeves. 3/4 is a little too long for the summertime weather where I will be traveling soon.)

Does anyone know how to ease the sleeves in such an intricate design as this pattern calls for? Please see the sleeve photo.

2 comments:

  1. Not sure, but it looks to me like the "pucker" is supposed to be there. From the pictures given on the pattern, it appears the sleeve does not just drop smoothly--it's a bit gathered on the top. So maybe it's not a mistake at all! :) Can't wait to see the progress so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From someone who grew up sewing her own clothing in the 1940s, my mother: Sew the shoulders together b4 pinning in the sleeve, once the sleeve is in then sew from cuff to hem down the entire side of the garment. You can also machine hem if you like b4 closing up the side seams.
    From me: Easing is only difficult if you look at it as a flat piece. It isn't, it is rounded. Push it into its final curve around your hand or a tailor ham and you will see how easy things will come together.
    Much luck and happiness!
    Pam of StrangePuppy.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete