Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sew Along Part 6 - The Machine & Bodice Sewing

This is my mother's vintage 1950s era Necchi Sewing Machine. Italy made! It's very sharp and sews superbly. There's tons of attachments for all kinds of fancy embroidery. Some day I hope to try them - but for now, it's the simple sewing I shall do. (I was not able to use my 1960s sewing machine because this one was already plugged in, and our dining room already has a piano, a large dining table, and two sewing machines .. it would have been a horrible mess to plug in the 1960s machine.) That's ok, I am enjoying this Necchi - wish you could see it in person!







* First Photo*
Sewing the top button closure for the first side button. This was interesting to do, since I had to rip out the seam because it was sewed on the wrong side! It was rather peculiar, too, since the pattern could have already had the side piece drawn into the pattern itself. :) It was an extra step that could have been avoided if the original drafters had thought of simpler ways to construct this -- as said by mother. lol  and I happen to agree.
 
*Second Photo* Hemming along the correct side (button closure). 

*Third & Fourth Photos*
Inside front and back facing. Trial and error the first time
 with the back facing; accidentally sewed it to the front 
instead of the back! :p A seam ripper becomes
the seamstresses' friend. More later.....

1 comment: